As I announced last Fall, David, at Artifacs Libros is translating the Green Comet trilogy. After fighting through the complications presented by COVID 19, he wrote to let me know that he has finished translating the second volume — Parasite Puppeteers. I have had a look at it and it appears to be well done. The layout is good. The modifications to the cover are good. The front matter is better than the original. However, since I can’t read Spanish I can’t say anything about the translation itself. I ran the Green Comet translation — Cometa Verde — through a translator to see how it looked back in English, and found it to be quite different from the original. That makes sense when I think about it.
Given that, I would really appreciate it if any of you who can read Spanish would download Titiriteros Parásitos and let the rest of us know what you think.
As I announced last Fall, David, at Artifacs Libros is translating the Green Comet trilogy. Today he contacted me to let me know that he has finished translating the first volume — Green Comet. I have had a look at it and it appears to be well done. The layout is good. The modifications to the cover are good. The front matter is better than the original. However, since I can’t read Spanish I can’t say anything about the translation itself. I’m thinking of running it through a translator and seeing how it looks back in English again.
Meanwhile, I would really appreciate it if any of you who can read Spanish would download Cometa Verde and let the rest of us know what you think.
Hola. The Green Comet trilogy might be getting a Spanish translation. If it works out, we should see it next spring. David, at Artifacs Libros, has contacted me through the Green Comet website and asked my permission to undertake the project. Of course, he doesn’t need permission since the books are licensed Creative Commons, but he was nice enough to ask anyway.
This is what David has said about the Spanish titles for the books:
Green Comet = Cometa Verde
Parasite Puppeteers = Titiriteros Parásitos
The Francesians = Los Francesianos
I assume this word “Francesians” is after the character name “Frances”, so I’m adopting here the same Spanish relation.
David has already translated other works, and you can see them on his website if you’re interested. His stated reason for doing this work is to make the titles available to his fellow Spanish speakers, when they otherwise might not be. In his words:
Well, because I’m fond of reading and writing Sci-Fi, Fantasy & Fiction and I’m having fun doing this website… and because many of these works would probably remain unknown for the panhispanic community (which wouldn’t or can’t read English), otherwise.
He’s always on the lookout for more good CC licensed novels, so if you know of any, let him know. Or tell me and I’ll pass it on.
I’ve just done my last pass of the proofreading and editing of The Prime. The corrections were getting pretty trivial, so I decided it was time to move on. Now I’m going to try something new with this book. With my previous books I went on from final proofing to formatting the final presentation version of the ebook. Only after that did I record it for the audiobook. My reasoning was that it was a lot easier to make corrections to text than to audio, so don’t do the recording until you have the final text version complete. That is changing this time. I’m going to use the reading and recording as the final proofing. Reading it out loud can sometimes expose errors or awkwardness, so it will give me one last chance to improve it before releasing it into the wild. On the downside, it means a longer wait for publication. On the upside, it means a shorter wait for the audiobook after publication.
There’s something else I have to sort out. The Prime has been my working title, and I’ve begun to think of it as the real title, but I’m not sure about that. I’ve been trying to think of something to replace it with, but nothing is coming to me yet.
I have written the last chapter of The Prime. The novel comes in at about three or four thousand words over the sixty thousand I was aiming for, so that’s not bad. This time, though, I might end up with a net addition of words after the final proofing and editing, rather than the net subtraction I normally have. Restricting myself to so few words might have resulted in leaving some areas a little sparse. That increases my respect for authors like Robert B. Parker and Elmore Leonard who seem to be able to do it with ease.
Next up is proofreading and polishing this last part of the book, then I’ll be doing the same to the whole novel. I think I’ll be taking some time away from it before that, though, to see if I can come to it with fresh eyes. As always, I’m looking forward to seeing what it looks like as a whole. Like an artist stepping back from the canvas after doing the close work.