I have finished proofing the first section of The Plainsrunner (working title for my current novel) and will be moving on to publishing it. I have to do conversions to the various formats — ePub, PDF and MOBI — and then I have to make them available on the downloads page. Should I bother with a cover? Should I add any front matter or back matter? Copyright notice? I’m not sure what I’m going to end up doing.
The story is coming along well. It is accepting the elements I need to have in there, and it’s coming back with some interesting developments. I like that part of making a story, even though it can sometimes be a bit of a grind. I look forward to having this more mechanical part of publishing it done so I can get back to finding out what’s happening.
This is going to be shorter than the books in the Green Comet trilogy, and the pace is a little faster, too. I’m enjoying the change, and I hope you do as well.
The writing is continuing to go well. I got two chapters done last week and I made a good start on chapter four today. Sometimes when I think about a story I wonder how there could ever be enough to put in between the beginning and the end to make a whole book. Then as I write, ideas pop up about where this is going to lead the character and what she’s going to have to do to get there, and I wonder if I’m going to be able to keep it down to a reasonable size. I’ve learned to not worry about having enough to write about. Once I put my characters in motion, it’s more a matter of keeping them from taking the story away from me. I keep reminding myself that I’ve alloted only 80,000 words for this one, so discipline is the key. For myself and for my adventurous characters.
So far, though, I haven’t tripped over the idea for the next novel. No worries. That doesn’t usually happen until about halfway through the current one.
We have reached the 25,000 download mark. I think that’s a nice round number with a definite flavor of seriousness. Thank you everyone who has downloaded Green Comet and its extensions, and a special thanks to everyone who has recommended the novel to a new reader.
The trilogy is very near completion. I’m working on the ending of the first draft of the third novel, which should be done within the next few weeks. This level of interest is just the kind of encouragement I need.
It’s been a while since I posted the last extension to Green Comet (Extension Seven), so I thought I should give you an update on my progress. I’ve just completed the first draft of Extension Eight, and now I have to beat it into shape for release. Once that’s done, the first draft of book two of the Green Comet series will be complete. Then I have to start hacking on that to turn it into a presentable novel. I’m looking forward to reading it as a whole, to see what I’ve got.
Book two will be roughly the same size as book one; probably around 130,000 words. I’ve decided on a title for this sequel: Parasite Puppeteers.
The proofreading and editing will take a while, and then there will be the conversions and presentation processes. Not to mention getting the ISBNs. I’ll probably post a couple more updates along the way.